Every person who is familiar with computers have used a USB Flash drive at least once. We use USB Flash drives to copy files such as documents, music, movies etc between computers or devices. However, what can be immensely frustrating is if you own multiple sets of Operating Systems. For example, if you have music you want to play on your ipod/iphone but don’t want the hassle of using itunes on your Windows PC.. what do you do? Developers at Sanho Cooperation were frustrated with this dilemma and subsequently the ‘iStick’ was born. The very first flash drive for ipod/iphones/ipad is about to become reality! iStick appears just like any other USB Flash drive with one vital difference, it comes with an inbuilt apple lightning connector.
The iStick is designed to seamlessly move data between your computer, ipod and iphone (and other apple products) without requiring an internet connection, the Cloud or wireless access. What a relief! It is configured to have a USB flash drive connector on one side and an apple lightening connector on the other end. You can simply switch between connectors by merely moving the slider! Bliss!
Let’s check out the range of features iStick has to offer:
- Free universal iPhone/iPad/iPod touch iOS app
- Music & Movie Player (able to decode MKV, RMVB, AVI, WMV etc.)
- 1080p HD movie streaming, direct playback from iStick
- Photo & Document (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, PDF, iWork) Viewer
- Open files directly on the iStick without the need to copy to iDevice
- Copy/Move files between iDevice and iStick
- File Management (Copy/Cut/Paste/Delete/Rename/Create Folder)
- Backup photos/videos from iDevice Camera Roll to iStick
- Support “Open In” functionality
- Open files from other apps in iStick app
- Open files from iStick in other apps
- iDevice Contacts backup and restore
According to the developers, if you would like to access music on your ipod from your PC you just simply need to copy the files onto your iStick. Click your iStick into your ipod and copy the music files onto the ipod. Voila you can now play that Miley Cyrus song which has been stuck in your head over and over again (we won’t judge you!). What happens if you don’t have enough space on your ipod though?? Never fear! You can play the music files directly from the flash drive instead. Score!
What about playing movies on your ipad? No need to stream through internet connection or the Cloud. Again… just plug and play with your iStick!! Epic!
A range of file formats are compatible with the iStick including:
* Video: .mp4, .m4v, .mpv, .mov, .mpg, .mkv, .wmv, .flv, .3gp, .gif
* Audio: .wav, .aac, .aiff, .caf, .m4a, .mp3
* Images: .jpg, .tiff, .gif
* Documents: .doc and .docx (Microsoft Word); .htm and .html (web pages); .key (Keynote); .numbers (Numbers); .pages (Pages); .pdf (Preview and Adobe Acrobat); .ppt and .pptx (Microsoft PowerPoint); .txt (text); .rtf (rich text format); .vcf (contact information); .xls and .xlsx (Microsoft Excel); .zip; .ics
There is only one slight draw back with this device. We did notice that the apple lightning connector only works with newer versions of ipod/iphone/ipads. What a shame but the developers were unable to obtain the necessary certification from Apple *grumbles*. The iStick is thus compatible with only the following apple products:
* iPhone 5/5s/5c
* iPad (4th Generation)
* iPad mini
* iPad mini with Retina display
* iPad Air
* iPod touch (5th Generation)